Jackfruit sliders are a tasty dish for people looking to eat a diet lower in saturated fat and cholesterol. Jackfruit is a tropical, meat-free ingredient that can be found in a can at any Asian market. Thank you to Vegan Grand Rapids for introducing me to the very versatile jackfruit!
Makes 12 sliders
- 2 16 ounce cans of young green jackfruit in brine, drained
- 2 cups Sweet Baby Rays Barbecue sauce or homemade barbecue sauce
- 12 Buns, gluten-free
- 24 pickle slices, for garnish
- 1/4 C yellow mustard
- 1/4 C pommary mustard
- 1/4 C Dijon mustard
Drain the brine from the jackfruit and shred it with a fork. Place the shredded jackfruit in a bowl and mix in the barbecue sauce. In a fry pan, heat the marinated jackfruit until warmed through. Make the sliders by placing a few tablespoons of marinated jackfruit into each bun. Serve with pickles and an assortment of mustards. Stack ‘em high and enjoy.
Notes: Jackfruit and barbecue sauce will hold up well in a slow cooker too.
Homemade BBQ Sauce
Makes 2 cups
- 1 C Tomato sauce
- 1/4 C Brown sugar
- 2 T Molasses
- 1 T Apple cider vinegar
- 1 T Tamari (gluten free soy sauce) or soy sauce
- 1 T Lemon juice
- 1/4 t Each: Onion powder, Garlic powder, Mustard powder, Turmeric powder, Paprika powder (sweet or smoked)
- 1/4 t Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1/4 t Liquid smoke, natural
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Pour into a storage container and refrigerate.