Lasagna can be plant-based and hearty! It tastes delicious and will not clog up your circulatory system like a meat based lasagna can. Have I mentioned that your house will smell like Heaven too? I have been making this recipe for my family for almost 20 years and they LOVE it. This fall, let comfort food warm your soul. Vegan and gluten-free has never tasted so good.
makes one 9″X13″ baking dish
- 2 tablespoon Red wine
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup Red wine
- 1 12 oz. bag vegan soy protein crumbles, like Bocca Veggie Protein
- 2 tablespoon flax meal
- 6 tablespoons water, filtered
- 1 14 oz package of soft tofu, crumbled by hand
- 1/2 cup plant-based parmesan cheese alternative
- 1/2 cup parsley, fresh & chopped
- 1 t black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 25.5 oz jars of pasta sauce
- 1 10 oz package brown rice lasagna pasta noodles
- 1 12 oz package of fresh spinach
- 2 7 oz packages mozzarella flavor cheese alternative shreds
- 3 basil leaves, julienned or 1 t of dried basil
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Sauce: Warm red wine in a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the onions, garlic and Italian seasoning and sauté until softened. Add more wine and the bag of vegan soy protein crumbles. When the red wine has reduced by half, add the pasta sauce to the sauté pan and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Parmesan Mixture: While that’s cooking, in a ramekin stir flax meal with water and make into a paste then add to a medium sized mixing bowl with tofu, veggie parmesan, parsley, and black pepper then mix throughly.
Layer: Cover the bottom of the baking dish with a light layer of the pasta sauce mixture. Layer noodles, parmesan mixture, spinach, sauce and mozzarella shreds. Repeat then top with sliced tomatoes and basil.
Bake: Cover with aluminum foil, oiled on the lasagna side to prevent sticking, and bake for 45 minutes, uncover and bake for 15 more minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool for 5-10 minutes and cut into squares. Serve on a bed of greens.